Set up Multi-factor Authentication (MFA)
What is MFA and why do I need it?
This additional security verification is mandatory for all members and guests on both platforms – it adds a layer of protection and has enabled GovTEAMS OFFICIAL to achieve a security accreditation of OFFICIAL:Sensitive and GovTEAMS PROTECTED to achieve a security accreditation of PROTECTED. Research by Microsoft suggests that MFA can block more than 99% of account compromise attacks.
To give yourself some flexibility when logging in to GovTEAMS, and to avoid relying on just one form of MFA, we recommend setting up more than one MFA option. This will allow you to choose an alternative MFA method if you can’t access your preferred option (e.g. your mobile phone isn’t working or you’re away from your landline). This will ensure you can always log in to GovTEAMS when you need to.
How do I set up my MFA?
You will be prompted to set up your MFA the first time you log in to GovTEAMS OFFICIAL or GovTEAMS PROTECTED, or following an MFA reset by GovTEAMS Support. After entering your username and password, you will be presented with a screen that says ‘More information required’. When you see this message, select Next.
The default MFA option for GovTEAMS is the Microsoft Authenticator app. If you would like to:
- use an alternative authentication app; or
- use a different method; or
- you do not have access to your mobile phone in your workplace
Choose ‘I want to set up a different method’.
When completing the MFA process you are also nominating your contact details to become password recovery options if needed. This combined process allows you to prove your identity and recover your password in the future. When first setting up your MFA you have the option to choose between a call, a text and a notification (via the Microsoft Authenticator app). Please note, although you don’t have the option to nominate an email address as an MFA option, you can still use it as a password recovery option. If you wish to do so, please add it as an option after you have completed the registration process.
Your MFA options are:
Microsoft Authenticator app
To use this method, you must set up the Microsoft Authenticator app on a mobile phone. You will also need to log in to GovTEAMS on a different device (not your mobile phone) to complete this process. The following steps will refer to that device as ‘computer’.
- Download the app for android or iOS on your mobile phone.
- Open the app and tap the + (plus) icon, located at the top right of the screen.
- Select Work or school account and allow the app to send you notifications and to access your camera.
- On your computer, follow through the screens explaining the app download process and select Next.
- A QR code will appear on your computer screen; use your mobile phone to scan the QR code.
- A test notification will then be sent to your mobile phone to ensure the process is working. When the notification appears on your phone, tap Approve.
- Select Next on your computer screen.
- You will then be asked to enter a phone number as an additional MFA option. You can enter a mobile phone number if you prefer a text, or choose between a mobile phone or landline number if you prefer a call.
- Select your area code from the drop down (e.g. Australia +61), enter your preferred phone number, select Text me a code or Call me and Next. This will prompt a test call or text, depending on the option you choose.
For texts: Enter the code sent to your phone, select Next, then Next again and lastly Done.
For calls: Answer the call and follow the instructions to enter a hash (#) key.
- A ‘more information’ screen will show, select Next, then Done. When the ‘stay signed in screen’ shows, select Yes.
Phone authentication (call or text)
To use this method, you can use a mobile phone number if you prefer a text, or choose between a mobile phone or landline number if you prefer a call.
Select your country or region (e.g. Australia +61) and enter your preferred phone number.
Select the method:
- Send me a code by text message (mobile phone)
- Enter the code supplied.
- Select Verify and Done.
- Call me (mobile phone or landline number)
- An automated service will call you and ask you to press the hash (#) key.
- Select Done.
- You will then be taken to the security information screen where you can set an additional authentication method.
Note: We recommend setting up more than one MFA option to give yourself some flexibility when logging in to GovTEAMS, and to avoid relying on just one form of MFA. This will allow you to choose an alternative MFA method if you can’t access your preferred option, (e.g. your mobile phone isn’t working or you’re away from your landline).
- Select Add method and select your preferred alternative option.
- Complete the required details, select Next and complete the verification.
- Select Done.