You are here
There are two major components to GovTEAMS, the dashboard and Microsoft Office 365. The following infographic describes some of the key tasks you can perform in each component:
Navigating the GovTEAMS dashboard
The dashboard lists all the communities you are part of, separated into communities you own and communities for which you are a member. You will also be shown communities that may be of interest to you based on information you enter into your profile (see below for further information about GovTEAMS personal profiles).
Each community is represented on the screen as a ‘card':
At the bottom of the community card there are a number of buttons. If you are a community member, you will see three buttons:
- Open community in Microsoft Teams (to chat with community members and co-edit documents)
- Open community in Microsoft SharePoint (to create a community site, upload documents, create news and content pages)
- Manage this community (to view more information about this community)
If you are a community owner, you will see four:
- Open community in Microsoft Teams
- Open community in Microsoft SharePoint
- Invite members
- Manage this community
If you are neither a member nor owner of a community you will see two:
- Request access
- Manage this community
Creating a community
To create a new community, click the 'create community' button at the top right of the screen above the community cards.
You will be guided through the steps, where you have the option to create an open, closed or hidden community. For further information, refer to the How to create a community guide.
What can I use my community for?
You can use your community for many things. Here are some ideas:
- Promote activities – share news, updates and promote upcoming events.
- Build a network – bring together like-minded people to engage on topics, interests, or areas of practice.
- Collaborate on a projects – bring your teams together to meet virtually, co-author documents and track tasks.
For further information, refer to the community content page.
Interacting with communities
The key collaboration tools for each community are:
- Microsoft Teams – where you can co-edit files and chat to community members via video, audio or instant message.
- Microsoft SharePoint – where you can create a community site, upload documents, create news and content pages.
Your personal profile is made up of your GovTEAMS account information and a Microsoft Delve profile created during the registration process.
This includes information you provided during the registration process such as name, work and personal email addresses and your department/workplace. To update this information, click your name in the top right corner of the dashboard, or select the cog icon next to your profile picture and then select 'GovTEAMS Account’.
Your Microsoft Delve profile
Your Microsoft profile houses information about your skills, experience and interests. GovTEAMS uses this to personalise your experience, improve the relevance of suggested communities and help members find you. To update this information click your name in the top right corner of the dashboard, or select the cog icon next to your profile picture and then select ‘Delve Profile’.
Explore other Microsoft Office 365 tools
You will also have access to other Microsoft Office 365 tools through the GovTEAMS dashboard, which you can access through the 'Waffle' menu in the top left corner of the screen.
For more information about these apps refer to the Microsoft Office 365 Apps page.